RUSLANet Project Summary
The main goal of the Regional University and Science Library Advanced
Network the in North-West of Russia (RUSLANet) project is creation of
common information space of libraries of North-West of Russia and its
integration to European and worldwide library information space. For
gaining the great idea the following problems must be solved:
- OPAC and full text databases;
- Internet access to bibliographical information and full text databases (Z39.50);
- search and request services for library systems;
- creation of library network infrastructure, providing the logical joining of libraries.
The RUSLANet project is based on the following concepts and
- "client-server" architecture;
- use of open standards on all layers of developing software;
- modern information technologies (RDBMS, Full Text Base, Internet Indexing Systems, etc.);
- modern and perspective forms of data representation (multimedia, audio-, video-, CD ROM, etc.);
- Internet technology (HTTP , standard Internet access products, Search Engines, Java, etc.);
- modern network technologies (FDDI, ATM, etc.).
According to chosen concepts the project's problems are realized in
the following way:
- design of concept of library network of North-West of Russia with account of specific features of Russia
(poor network infrastructure, unreliable channels, low level of library automatisation, Russian
- development of bibliographic distributed databases with respect of UNIMARC standard;
working out of hierarchy of workbenches of library network (central database administrator,
intermediate database administrator, librarian, end user, Internet user, etc.);
- creation of regional library hypertext WWW-server;
- use of existing infrastructure with account of perspectives of its future development.
The following organizations can participate the RUSLANet project:
- Fundamental Library and Open Library Systems Center, St.Petersburg State Technical University -
main project coordinator and provider in Russia;
- RUSNet and Center of Telematics, St.Petersburg State Technical University - support of communication
service and advanced network technologies, development of network infrastructure;
- American Library - consulting and experience exchange on development of modern library systems;
- Digital Equipment Corporation - general sponsor of the project. DEC has already granted to the project
equipment, software and consulting on about $100.000;
- AMT Group - sponsor of the project. AMT Group granted communication equipment for 100Mb
FDDI connection for Fundamental Library.
- This project realizes in reality the idea of open community, assure free non-commercial access to information
for all users without any limits and discrimination.
- This project helps the integration of Russia in the worldwide information space not only as information
customs, but also as information providers.
- The main principles of the project are suitable for advanced European and American library systems.
More detailed information availiable.